BenchSci Privacy Notice
BenchSci takes privacy and data security seriously. We are committed to transparency in the collection and use of your personal information. The Privacy Notice below describes how we use your personal information to provide you with our services and the circumstances under which we may share this information. This Privacy Notice applies to the personal information practices on BenchSci.com.
Collection and Use of Personal Information
We collect and use personal information for the purposes identified below.
- Account Signup: We collect information, including your name, organization, email address, phone number, and password in order to create your account. Signing up for a BenchSci account allows you to save your search engine results.
- Third-Party Login: You may also access your account on our site through your third-party accounts, including a Facebook, LinkedIn, ResearchGate, or Google account. When you engage with us through a third-party account, we may collect personal information made accessible to us by that third-party account provider to provide you with access to your BenchSci account.
- Marketing Communications: We may collect certain personal information, including name, address, email address, and telephone number to send marketing communications regarding our services, including news, updates, and reminders. You can opt out of receiving communications from us using the opt-out or “unsubscribe” instructions provided in our marketing communications.
- Contact Form and Chat: When you contact us with a comment, question, or complaint via a form or chat widget, you may be asked for information that identifies you, such as your name, email address, telephone number, and current organization (e.g., your educational institution or laboratory) along with additional information we may need to help us promptly answer your question or respond to your request. We may retain this information to assist you in the future and to improve our customer service and service offerings. We also use personal information to establish and manage our relationship with you and provide quality service.
Additional Website Information
- Aggregate Data: We collect information you provide, and combine it with the information of other users of our website, to create aggregate data that may be disclosed to third parties. Aggregate data is anonymized and provided to third parties in statistical form.
- Cookies: We may also collect, process, store and analyze information about you obtained from your browser or through the use of “cookies” or other tools that track, measure, and analyze the behaviors and usage patterns of visitors to our website and users of our services. You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept them. But you can usually modify your browser settings to decline them. If you do, features of the BenchSci platform may no longer work as intended.
Sharing of Personal Information
Except as set forth in this Privacy Notice and as required or permitted by law, we do not sell or share your identifying personal information with third parties without your consent.
Your personal information may be transferred (or otherwise made available) to our affiliates and other third parties who provide services on our behalf, including to host and maintain our website and to help manage our marketing communications. Our service providers are given the information they need to perform their designated functions, and are not authorized to use or disclose personal information for their own marketing or other purposes. Our service providers include:
Your personal information may be maintained and processed by us, our affiliates, and other third-party service providers in the US or other jurisdictions. In the event that personal information is transferred to the US or other foreign jurisdiction, it will be subject to the laws of that jurisdiction and may be disclosed to or accessed by the courts, law enforcement, and governmental authorities in accordance with those laws.
Legal and Compliance
We and our service providers may provide your personal information in response to a search warrant or other legally valid inquiry or order, or to another organization for the purposes of investigating a breach of an agreement or contravention of law or detecting, suppressing or preventing fraud, or as otherwise required or permitted by applicable Canadian, US, or other law or legal process. Your personal information may also be disclosed where necessary for the establishment, exercise, or defence of legal claims and to investigate or prevent actual or suspect loss or harm to persons or property.
Sale of Business
Personal information may be provided to third parties in connection with a merger or sale (including transfers made as part of insolvency or bankruptcy proceedings) involving all or part of BenchSci or as part of a corporate reorganization or stock sale or other change in corporate control, including for the purpose of determining whether to proceed or continue with such transaction or business relationship.
Safeguarding and Retention of Personal Information
We have implemented reasonable administrative, technical, and physical measures in an effort to safeguard the personal information in our custody and control against theft, loss and unauthorized access, use, modification and disclosure. We restrict access to your personal information on a need-to-know basis to employees and authorized service providers who require access to fulfill their job requirements.
We have personal information retention processes designed to retain personal information for no longer than necessary for the purposes stated above or to otherwise meet legal requirements.
Access to Personal Information
You have the right to access, update, delete, and correct inaccuracies in your personal information in our custody and control, subject to certain exceptions prescribed by law. You may request access, updating, deletion, and corrections of inaccuracies in other personal information we have in our custody or control by emailing or writing to us at the contact information set out below. We may request certain personal information for the purposes of verifying the identity of the individual seeking access to their personal information records.
The site may contain links to other websites that are not owned or controlled by us. We have no control over, do not review, and are not responsible for the privacy policies of or content displayed on such other websites. When you click on such a link, you will leave our service and go to another site. During this process, another entity may collect personal information from you.
Updates to the Privacy Notice
We may update this Privacy Notice to reflect changes to our privacy practices. We encourage you to periodically review this page for the latest information on our privacy practices.
BenchSci welcomes your comments and questions regarding this Privacy Notice and the use of your personal information. If you have questions or concerns please contact our Privacy Officer:
Mail: 559 College St., Suite 201, Toronto, ON M6G 1A9